If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.
— Stephen King
Since next month is going to be all about writing, I decided to take this month to read.I’ve found myself reading a lot of non-fiction lately and I keep meaning to alternate books from my unread fiction stack between each one. My initial though was to read the entire Harry Potter series, but that wouldn’t give me a variety of stories (plus my wife might be sour if I damaged her books.) Instead, I just went through my book case and picked out a few books to read this month:
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- On Writing by Stephen King
- Steampunk by Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer
- Whitechapel Gods by S.M. Peters
- Mercy Thompson: Homecoming by Patricia Briggs, Francis Tsai, and Amelia Woo
A third of the way through the month and I’ve finished Mercy Thompson: Homcoming and have four stories left in the Steampunk anthology. I need to step it up to make sure I get everything done. If there’s time left over at the end of the month, I’m going to read stories from The Storm Cloud anthology.